{ Page-Title / Story-Title }

News Malayalam

Malayalam actress assault case: Actor Dileep sent to 14 days police custody

The actor was arrested after evidence emerged connecting him to the prime suspect in the case, Pulsar Suni.

Our Correspondent

Malayalam actor Dileep arrested in Kochi has been remanded to 14 days police custody in the early hours of Tuesday. He was arrested the day before in connection with the abduction and assault of a South Indian actress back in February. Ram Kumar, the actor's lawyer will apply for bail tomorrow (12 July). 

He was soon after taken to the Aluva sub-jail near Kochi. The 48-year-old actor, who has starred in more than 130 films, claimed his innocence before being led to the jail. "I am innocent and I will prove my innocence. I was trapped," he said.

Kerala police chief Loknath Behra on Monday told reporters that Dileep was arrested once they found prima facie evidence against the actor after a second round of questioning led to revelations of new evidence related to the case.

The incident occurred on 17 February, when the said actress was abducted on her way from Thrissur to Kochi. The actress was then dropped near the residence of actor-director Lal, after being molested for almost two hours. The main suspects in the case, Sunil aka Pulsar Suni and Nadirshah, were arrested a week later by the Kerala police and sent to judicial custody.

Dileep was considered a suspect by many for his close relations with the suspect, and his ongoing feud with the victim. Police sources suggest that the victim played a role in the discord in Dileep's marital life with actress Manju Warrier, and that the conspiracy to hurt the victim was hatched as far back in 2013. Dileep divorced Warrier in 2014, and later married actress Kavya Madhavan.

The police had questioned the actor previously on 29 June for nearly 13 hours.

In a brief post on Facebook, the newly established Women in Cinema Collective, of which Warrier, and the victim, are members, said: 'We want to get justice for our attacked colleague. We still believe in the police and government that have brought this case seriously since the beginning of this case...Let the investigation progress. Let the proofs come out and let the truth come out. We've been here and opened the eyes and ears ... until the struggle will end, and the struggle will end. This is a boon for the followers (sic).'

Youth outfits of various political parties have resorted to violent protests across the state, burning effigies of the actor. The police has provided security to several establishments owned by the actor.

The victim's family expressed happiness with the investigation in a statement. "We are happy with the outcome of the case. It shows the almighty's touch in the case," they said.