One dies of heart attack during Shah Rukh Khan's Raees promotion in Vadodara

Social activist Farid Khan Pathan of Hatikhana area of Vadodara felt suffocated during a stampede at the railway station and then suffered a heart attack.


One person died due to suffocation at the Vadodara railway station as hundreds of fans of Shah Rukh Khan jostled to get a glimpse of the actor, who arrived here on board the August Kranti Express on Monday to promote his upcoming film Raees.

According to police, social activist Farid Khan Pathan of Hatikhana area of Vadodara, who arrived at the railway platform with his wife and daughter as the family was an avid follower of the actor, felt suffocated during an alleged stampede at the railway station and then suffered a heart attack.

He died on his way to hospital, the police said. The police resorted to lathi-charge to disperse the crowd during which some persons sustained minor wounds on their head and face.

Two constables of the Railway police also collapsed during the chaos and are undergoing treatment.

They are said to be out of danger.

The Bollywood actor is travelling with the film's director Rahul Dholakia and producer Ritesh Sidhwani from Mumbai to Delhi on August Kranti Express train to promote Raees which hits the screens on 25 January.

However, contradictory reports about there being no stampede have also emerged.

Journalist Shhivangi Thakur with news channel Aaj Tak, who was present at the event posted the following on her Facebook account:

While a report on his death is awaited, Khan issued a statement through his publicist for Raees expressing his sadness at the tragic episode.

"We started the journey thinking we all will travel, spend time with each other when one of your own loses someone on a trip like this, it saddens us all. One of our colleagues was travelling with us. Her uncle came down to see her at Baroda. He suffered from a cardiac arrest. It was really unfortunate have some of our people with the family members there. Hopefully God will bless her soon. On behalf of everyone, our prayers and blessings are with the whole family. She has reached there. I just spoke to her. I think the burial is in an hour or half hour.." Khan said in the statement.